Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Waiting For Her Letter

We adore reading around here. Something I've blogged about here and here.

This summer, I decided that Girlie Whirl, 6 1/2, was old enough to deal with Harry Potter in book form. She wasn't sure she wanted to, but I convinced her to give it a try and we began.

Oh, the fun we've had, the adventure, the humor, the discovery! It's one of the joys of parenting, this introducing your child to a new world through the written word! There is nothing like your little girl gazing up at you with a mixture of hope and pleading in her big blue eyes as she says, "Please just read one more chapter, pleeeeease!"

Playtime at our home now commonly features magical themes. Dolls take on names like Hermione and Ginny; and Girlie-Whirl keeps her wand nearby, hexing invisible foes with abandon. Needless to say, it was a very Harry summer and because we still have just over two more books to go, the Harry-ness will continue through much of the fall. Can you guess what she's gonna be for Halloween?

G-W started daydreaming about getting her letter of acceptance from Hogwarts, and asked me if I thought it could happen in real life. Last month, her twelve-year-old sister, Banana-Girl was sad. As G-W knelt by me, I asked her to remember her sister in her prayer. I was touched and amused as she earnestly petitioned Heavenly Father to bless Banana-Girl that she'll get a letter from Hogwarts, the pinnacle of heavenly blessings in her mind. I think she's finally decided that no letters are going to arrive, but she's holding out hope that it could happen in the next life.

I know that there's nothing original in the sentiment, but can I just say that I adore Harry Potter! Rowling is, in my opinion, a master story teller. The hours of quality time that my family has spent in her books are countless and full of good memories. I firmly believe that forty years from now, her books will still be in print and there will be third and fourth generation fans out there introducing the world of Hogwarts to their children.

What are you reading with your kiddles?

4 comments:

  1. Oh, that makes me so happy! Praying for Banana girl to get her letter! Love it! I know I've told you this title before, but if you haven't yet, you must read The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart. It's a trilogy, and I read it to my school class every year. The characters are awesome! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet! I just love you and your family more than words can say!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hours spent reading those books, discussing the story, and hypothesizing about books that hadn't come out yet.....Ah the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love reading too! I've been reading Matilda, The Indian in the Cupboard, and The Castle in the Attic with my littles. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete