Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Vanity!

I do not like my hair right now. It's been short and easy care for years now but I like change. Boredom sets in if I leave it in the same style for too long, so I'm growing it out. Having done so in the past, I remember that it's an annoying process, but I'd forgotten how extreme the annoyance really is. The process of going from short and sassy to long enough to successfully coif behind the head is driving me nuts! I just want to be able to pull it back into a pony tail when running/biking/working out. Is that too much to ask?

The layers are growing out fairly quickly, but the problem is that I have a lot of hair. When getting it cut, it's imperative to have the stylist texturize it to death, or my nice new style cut, all too soon, turns into a bush; an unattractive, over-grown, really needs to be pruned bush. Not exactly the look I'm going for. As the layers grow out, the bush has, sadly, turned into something like a weeping willow. Again, a fairly unappealing look, so I went and got it shaped. It looked great, actually looked like my hair had a smidgen of a sense of style again. But, not knowing any better--what do I know about hair?--I had them texturize it as usual. This wasn't a problem until a few weeks later when it started to grow out. The texturization (I'm sure that's not a real word) caused hundreds of short little hairs to stick straight out amongst the branches of the weeping willow, giving me a porcupine-ish weeping willow kind of look. ARRGH! Some days it looks somewhat okay--not great, mind you--but not horrendous either. And every day is a struggle to get to the point where I'm not abashed to be seen in public. I'm not terribly vain, but embarrassingly bad hair days, stacked one on top of another for weeks in a row are starting to give me a complex! And yet, my hair is still not quite long enough to ponytail it. Something about the shape of my head necessitates longer than average locks to pull off a tail!

Almost at the end of my rope, I mentioned that I was going to give up and get it cut. To which my husband replied, "No, don't cut it!" He almost never gives his opinion about this kind of thing, so the knowledge that Hubders wants me to grow it out, helped me find the wherewithal to stick it out a bit longer.

I know that this too shall pass and that it's not important in the eternal scheme of things, but I will be soooo relieved to put this process behind me! It feels incredibly vain to be terribly bugged by multiple bad hair days, when there is actual real suffering in the world; but the relentlessness of dealing with this is wearing very thin. Once the hair has reached the required length and a professional has trimmed it ever so slightly into a somewhat stylish do; once I am again satisfied that I don't look incredibly dorky, then I'll be grown-up and mature. Right now, I just want to have a meltdown, reminiscent of my teenage years, in front of my mirror each morning. But that would be an incredibly bad example to set before my young-uns. So, instead, I'll whimper inside and suffer in silence whilst I yearn for better hair days.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Mother,

    You make me laugh. A lot. I don't know if you realize what a fun blog you write. Thanks for bringing a smile to my face.

    Love,

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe there is just something in the air, cause my hair is doing the same thing! Stupid trying to grow it out stage! The good news is I think you're always beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you are so funny! I hear ya--I wrote a whole post a few months ago about regrowing post-baby hair loss. It's a doozy. I only wish you'd included a picture with this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, so I am having the opposite problem. Ever since I was a kid, I had to have my hair thinned (I assume the male version of texturing), or else my hair would become the wild bush. Alas, I have not thinned my hair in a decade. I don't know if I will become like Grandpa Harrison with absolutely NO hair on top but my hairline has been receding, and it is definitely thinner. For those of you who do not remember Grandpa, think about Mom's brothers. They have more hair than Grandpa had, but are definitely on the thin side of hair-do's. If the old wives tale says that baldness comes from the mother's side of the family is true, then I have a billiard ball in my future. Luckily, I have a long time to prepare myself.

    If I were self-centered, I would say something like "Get over it! Too much hair is NOT a problem". But luckily, I am not self-centered, so I won't say it...

    Yvonne had a friend in high school who had natural curly hair when the style was straight hair. This was in the 70's before there were as many options as now. Anyway, she hated her hair, and wished for straight hair. At the same time, Yvonne thought her hair was beautiful. Of course now, her naturally curly hair works great for the many different styles out there.

    Just remember one thing: a lot of hair is considered an indication of being healthy.

    I have always thought all my sisters have had beautiful hair, even with the porcupine-ish weeping willow look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Lisa you have truly got me chuckling, I can almost see the pocupine look, I have been amazed at your courage over the years, If you ask my kids, I have had the same boring hair forever, Hang in there!! your payoff is coming!!

    ReplyDelete